Ducted Gas Heating Running Costs
What are my ducted gas heating running costs going to be?’ This question gives rise to probably more other questions than answers, but we’ll answer as many as we can…
DUCTED GAS HEATING RUNNING COSTS CALCULATOR
- I’ll assume you’re on mains natural gas here because LPG in bottles is horrifically expensive.
- You’re metered in, and pay by, Mega Joules (MJ). Have a look at the specifications of your system.
- Help yourself! Don’t set silly temperatures because you’ll really pay for it if you want 30C inside your house when it’s -5C outside.
- Get the very best insulation in your ceiling, walls and floor that you can.
- Double glazing is amazingly effective at keeping the heat in.
So, have a look at the calculator above and fill in the boxes to see what it all costs…
Also be sure to check out our page on air conditioner running costs.
Ducted gas heating running cost, Example 1
Let’s look at a family of four living on the Northern Beaches. Again we need to make some realistic assumptions…
- It’s winter time!
- Dad works full time and Mum looks after the house and the kids.
- It’s term time so the kids are at school 8.30am to 4pm.
- They have a 23.7kW system from Lennox, a G61MPVT-60C-090, with 8 floor outlets throughout the home.
- They have reasonably good roof and wall insulation.
- They are on a standard plan with the cost of gas at 3.08c/MJ
So, let’s look at the costs…
So, it’s going to be a really cold night and Mum turns the ducted gas heater on at 3.30pm; she sets set point at 20C and makes sure all external doors and windows are closed.
The system runs at 100% for 30 minutes then 70% for another 30 minutes before settling down to 40% for the rest of the day and night. They turn the system off the next morning at 8am, 30 minutes before everyone leaves home for the day.
Using the above calculator we can see that the total cost for this 16.5 hour period was $20.15
Sorry about this bit, but… Although Peninsula Air Conditioning Pty Ltd believe all the facts, figures and calculations are correct it will not accept any liability for your use of, or reliability upon, any information presented above. If your circumstances warrant it we suggest you employ the services of a suitably qualified Mechanical Engineer.